Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Parking: The Extreme Measure of Character

There are many measures of a man's integrity, and character. Some have to do with how he treats others, some, how he spends his money, others might view a man's character by how he
reacts under pressure, or under heavy stress. However, it is of my opinion, that one of the largest judgements of character, is also one of the most obvious to see. How a man parks his vechicle. It doesn't matter what you drive, it could be a Hyundai Accent, or like in my case, a full size 3/4 ton diesel. It also doesn't matter how you decide to park, it could be by pulling in, backing in, or by parrallel parking, all are acceptable methods. However, not more than an hour ago, as I was enjoying my sandwich at a local Subway eatery, I noticed how patrons of the restuarant would park there small cars and trucks, before quickly hopping out, to be the first to consume a famed 5 dollar footlong! What I observed both startled, and alarmed me. out of the 6 patrons I saw arrive, only 3 had acceptable parking jobs. Thats 50%. Those are terrible odds. Everywhere these days have lines painted on the tarmac, displaying acceptable parking boundries, some people see these lines as merely a suggestion, some thing that they could follow if they weren't so hungry, or late for class. Several people told me that driving my truck in Utah would be a nightmare, and impossible to park, however, I chose to quote the ever so wise Richard Clarkson, who once said, "It doesn't matter what you drive, it matters how you drive it." The fact that I can drive a behemoth, that is, on average, 35% longer than most vechicles, and 13% wider, and still park it perfectly between the lines, anywhere in a parking lot, tells me that there are several people that merely don't care about driving. Such people are not here, nor there with the unspoken laws of parking, and this tells me, that such people need to appreciate life more, take there time, understand that they are not the only people in the world, and if such people begin doing this, the world will become a better place. Charity will be abounding, wars will cease, and on trips to the local wal-mart, parking spaces will be more abundant than the sands of the seas! These are my observations, you may take them as a grain of salt if you wish, however, you may find that my sterotyping is ever so accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment